Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Nepalese Earthquake Survivors Desperately Need Prayer!

Dedicated Nepalese Mobile Messengers Share Our Father's Love Across Tough Terrains!


This prayer request to help the mobile messengers of Nepal touched my heart. I recently had a young student from Nepal extend great kindness to me. Please hold the people of Nepal in prayer. 

Also, remember the words of James 2:20

Faith without works is dead!

Please prayerfully consider donating at least the amount it would cost you to take me out for a coffee to the GFA World Disaster Relief Fund

My experience with the student from Nepal is tacked onto the end of this prayer request in case you are interested.

Prayer Request for Our Father to Help Struggling Earthquake Survivors in Nepal

Imagine sleeping in the sanctuary of your home after a long day. You close your eyes, then a few hours later you’re awakened by a loud rumbling noise. You feel your bed begin to rattle. You rush to turn on a light, and then see cracks spreading like spider webs across your bedroom walls. 

You hear your children’s frightened cries calling you to rescue them. You hurry. Then the fractured walls start to crumble, no longer able to withstand the mounting strain. You run, your children at your side. Just as you cross the threshold of your door, your house collapses. Plumes of dust rise into the black night sky as the other houses in your neighbourhood also collapse. 

You hear people wailing, and you grasp the unsettling knowledge that death lingers in the aftermath. The people living in Jajarkot, Nepal, and the surrounding regions know this horror all too well. 

On November 3, just before midnight, they were startled awake by a 6.4-magnitude earthquake. More than 150 people perished, unable to escape the falling debris. 

Now, survivors are left grieving for their lost loved ones. To add to their sorrow: They have no shelter. They have no food. Their mud-and-stone houses are now rubble or threatening to become it. Their church buildings, once centres of safety and hope, have been destroyed.

Our missionaries in the region have reported, “All people are in deep grief and fear.” One pastor said he knew of about 400 houses that were affected by the deadly earthquake. 

One of our pastors lost his mother-in-law after her house collapsed on top of her. Including her, we’ve lost three beloved members of our church—one was only a child. 

My heart truly aches to hear of these losses and the hardships people have had to endure, especially knowing from past experiences that recovery is a long process. 

Jajarkot and the surrounding region are remote and isolated. The earthquake caused landslides that blocked roads, hindering aid from reaching people in their most desperate hour. 

 “Till now, no help was provided to them by anyone,” wrote one of our field correspondents, “but our church could go and reach them with relief items.”

 Our regional leaders travelled to the affected area by motorbike and tractor as soon as they could. Within four days after the quake, they had distributed more than 200 tents to serve as makeshift shelters, 20 sacks of rice, 50 cartons of noodles, 20 blankets and 40 pounds of lentils, along with cooking pots and oil. 

 “The need was huge,” our correspondent explained. “Many people were present, but the relief items were not sufficient. The leaders promised them future help.” 

 You can help them fulfill their promise. More than 189,000 people live in the district of Jajarkot—and they need help. Their immediate needs right now are food, water and shelter. 

As winter begins and temperatures drop, assistance will become even more critical. Our pastors are already there, ready to keep their promise—and they’re spreading Christ’s healing love as they minister. 

 I ask you, will you please consider giving to our disaster relief ministry so, together, we can provide much-needed aid and support to those in serious need after life-altering natural disasters? Your gift can be the encouragement their souls need in the midst of hardships. 

 Our pastors in the Jajarkot region will continue to bring relief items and offer long-term support. Because they, too, live there, they will be an ever-present reminder of God’s love and care. 


 Thank you for joining with me to pray for and help the people of Nepal. 

May God bless you, my dear friend. 
 
Yours for Nepal, 
 K.P. Yohannan (Metropolitan Yohan) Founder of GFA World


My Divine Appointment with a Student From Nepal


Two scriptures come to mind when I think about people going the extra mile. The first is the parable of "The Good Samaritan" where the Samaritan not only bandages up the man who had been attacked but takes him to an inn and pays the innkeeper to care for him until he recovers. The second is in Matthew 5:41: where Iesus says :
Whoever compels you to go with them one mile, go with him two. 
Silhouetted people sit talking on the shore of a lake in the early morning just as the sun is rising in the dusty sky mountains are in the background. These words are superimposed in black shrikhand italic script - Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Matthew 5:41 WMB.
Matthew 5:41 Scripture Meme YouVersion Bible App

 The other day, as I went out to try to pick up a few groceries, I ran out of breath and reluctantly had to sit in my manual wheelchair for a bit. To my despair, it started to spit rain. 

Despite my exhaustion, I tried wheeling my wheelchair hoping I might get there before the downpour and avoid a thorough soaking. I approached a busy street corner with dread. Would I be able to wheel across before the light turned red? 
A young man standing at the bus stop saw me and asked where I was trying to go.  
"Dollarama," I  gasped.
When he offered to help me, I accepted gratefully. Crossing a four-lane street seated in my wheelchair, quite honestly fills me with dread. 
I was very surprised when he enthusiastically offered to take me all the way there - several blocks away!
He shared with me that he was a student from Nepal studying computer science.  We chatted amicably about the changes in computing over the years. When he dropped me off I said I wanted to find some way to repay him for his kindness, and I would like to stay in touch. I never heard from him or saw him again, but when I received this prayer request via email today. It reminded me of his great kindness to me again. 

Sometimes people will say to me- "Oh if I had been there, I would have driven you to the store. " Please consider donating at least the amount it might have cost you to drive me to the store to get groceries in recognition of this young Nepalese student's kindness to me.

Note: This blog has referral links that help our writers eat when you make purchases through them. Would you like to write on Turtle Dove Thoughts? Guest Bloggers are welcome. Please drop a note in the comments below.
Faith Gear Christian Men Hoodies
Click Here to Shop Faith Gear Now!

About This Author

Sister Su is grateful to God for keeping her alive. She is a Trent/Queen's Concurrent Education graduate with over 20 years of teaching experience. She writes on several blogs, has a YouTube channel and is most easily reached through Twitter @Sister_Su See her link tree for more details:@Sister_Su | Linktree

This post was proofread with the free version of Grammarly

No comments: