Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2021

Crucifixion to Resurrection - Waiting in the Midst of Horrible News

Wondering About the Waning Waiting Hours

When my oldest daughter was in grade 2, I was told that if I did not have a total hysterectomy immediately, I would be dead within 3 months. About eight years later, I gave birth to my second daughter.
August 13, 2012, I lay bleeding on a stretcher begging emergency staff to stitch me up. I still remember their panicked words"We're losing her! We're losing her! Give her the phone to say goodbye to her daughter!"
October 1, 2021, I was told I was going to die if I did not fly immediately to Kingston for an operation. I am a survivor through my Saviour and extremely grateful to still be alive.
You also might like:

Waiting

Often as I go through my day, 
I’ll glibly say 
"God’s timing is perfect”
Image by Anastasia Gepp from Pixabay

And while I’ve seen this to be true, 
And how I enjoy seeing His timing come perfectly through, 
I have to admit there’s more than a time or two, 
That I found it very difficult to wait it through
How about you? 
Do you sometimes find it difficult to wait on God’s timing too?
 

Waiting in the Midst of Bad News

Today, many Christians mark the anniversary of what many see as the most difficult waiting period that ever happened - the days between Christ's crucifixion and His resurrection.Knowing Your Death in Advance

Christ showed his followers that the dead could come back to life -even after four days, in the raising of Lazurus.
Christ also warned His disciples several times in advance of what was to happen
  • The only sign I will give you is the sign of Jonah.
  • Do not be misled about the dead.
  • You see me now, then you will not see me, then you will see me again.
  • This temple will be totally destroyed and in three days I will restore it again.
  • My Father has given me the ability to lay down my life and pick it up again.
Psalm 22 is filled with foreshadowing of Christ's crucifixion too.
Still, when your friends tell you they are dying, you don't want to believe it. 

Waiting Following the Crucifixion

What might the disciples have felt after Christ's crucifixion? Can you imagine it? Try to fathom it?
When faced with the death of someone near and dear,  waiting and hoping for their return is extremely difficult. Anyone with a family member who is declared MIA or missing understands this painful hoping and longing. I have been there. For a whole year, I thought my youngest daughter was dead.

However, when you see your son or dearest friend die a horrible death right before your eyes - now that is quite a different thing.

 Christians Living Under a Death Sentence

In addition to being bereft. There would have also been a very clear danger - a death sentence hanging over their heads. Christ and His followers were regarded as blasphemers. and after Christ was crucified, they could see they may meet a similar fate.
 
The only thing I can possibly compare this to might be the feelings of Christians of martyred congregations who meet in hiding to celebrate their faith. Waiting and wondering when will a knock come on the door, and who will it be?

If you would like to try to get an inkling of what life may have been like for Christ's disciples waiting in that room, you might be interested in the free online screening of Tortured for Christ
Tortured For Christ - Richard Wurmbrand and His Wife

Tortured for Christ shares the true story of Richard and Sabina Wurmbrand. Pastor Richard Wurmbrand suffered 14 years of imprisonment and brutal torture, while his wife, Sabina, was sentenced to a labour camp. Their only “crime” was their witness for Jesus Christ in Communist Romania. Through it all, they loved their enemies and sought to lead their torturers to Jesus. 

Prayer:
Father, thank you for loving us so much that you have things timed so precisely. 
Forgive us for being impatient.

No comments: