Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2024

"Ki Tisa" Thoughts and Teaching Resources - Adar 1 21 5784 / March 1-2 2024

When You Elevate - The Study for Elavator Operators?

Sorry for the bad pun, but I couldn't resist it. Adar, after all, is the month to have fun and be joy-filled, right?
Note: Although I am still adding to this post, I am posting it now so people who might need some of these resources for Shabbat can find them.  Creator willing, I will be back to add to this. Please excuse the errors. How many can you find.?Message me here on X with any questions or suggestions @Sister_SuThe prescribed readings for this week's Shabbat - 21 Adar 1 5784  posted by Messianic Rabbi David Stone Jr. on Facebook are:
  • Torah- Exodus 30:11-34:36
  • Haftarah- 1 Kings 18:1-39 
  • New Covenant- 2 Corinthians 3:1-18  and Romans 15 
And pray for Israel together!
The name of the Torah portion is "Ki Tisa" which means 'when you elevate'.
Rabbi David Stone Jr. welcomes people to join their congregation in person or online on Shabbat/Saturday 03/01/24 from 10:30-10:55 AM for fellowship and set up time and 11 AM to 12:30 PM.- Their Congregation meets at Christian Fellowship Church 3950 Pointe Parkway, Beaumont Texas 77706.  Park near the main office entrance in the front of the building.  They are in Classroom #2 just past the restrooms.
Live at a distance, like me?  Thanks to the blessing of being able to get internet, folks around the world can view the Facebook live on Rabbi Stone Jr's Facebook profile.. or the website at https://congregationmelechyisrael.org/

Note: This blog has referral links that help our writers eat when you make purchases through them. Please refrain from making purchases on Shabbat.

Ki Tisa Shabbat Study Adar 1 21 5784

Overview

Frankly, I was stumped trying to find the connection between the New Covenant Reading and the reading from the Law (Torah) and the Prophets (Haftarah). So I thought I would give the Ecosia AI chatbot a try.
Initially, I had thought a good title for this week's readings could be "Idol No More".
However, that did not fit with the New Covenant selection.

The answer I received removed the veil from my eyes! Perhaps if I had started my studies by reading the 1 Corinthians New Covenant first I might have had a bit more insight.
So what is the theme for this week?
It is the contrast between the two types of worship!

In the Torah reading, we have Moshe having a great incredible mountaintop meeting with the Creator, while down below people are running amok worshipping their melted-down jewelry.

In the Haftarah, we have the half-crazed worship of devotees of the unresponsive Baal contrasted with the calm peaceful devotee of the responsive Creator.

Then in Corinthians, Paul contrasts worshipping Creator by following the Law with worshipping in Spirit and Truth.

Torah Portion Overview and Thoughts

My first question about this section of the Torah was why is it called "Ki Tisaa|? Torah portions are named after the words that they start with. In this case - "Ki Tisa". There are a  few teachings that focus on this part of the Torah portion, however, most deal with the more prominent topic - idol worship - especially when it is paired with today's reading from the prophets.

After half-listening to half of the reading, and feeling that I was under a time crunch, I watched this video - from Shalom Macon titled: "Ki Tisa | 5 Minute Torah Portion| Messianic Commentary on the weekly Torah Portion".

The focus of this Torah portion is on the golden calf incident. Do you recall) it?

Fear Makes People Do Dumb Stuff - The Golden Calf Incident

People start becoming fearful and the rumour mill starts that maybe Moshe will not be coming back from his chat with Creator on the mountaintop. They complain to Aharon/ Aaron - he panics. In his fear, he does something weird - he puts their jewelry into the fire and makes an idol resembling a calf. Then they start worshipping the idol and running amok.

Torah Portion Thoughts

When I read this passage it baffles me how Aharon, who had been right there with Moshe,  seeing all the amazing miracles could do such a strange and weird thing. Fear will do a lot to people. I guess this is one of the reasons it is written in The Bible repeatedly, "Fear Not."

I know that I have done a lot of dumb stuff in the past out of fear, and I pray every day that I become so strong that the next thing evil tries sending my way to try and shove me off my shoes of peace will not be able to phase me in the least.

Torah Portion Teaching Resources

Haftarah Portion Overview and Thoughts

This Haftarah Portion in Kings is also about the worship of idols. 

This is the big showdown between the prophets of Baal and a prophet of Creator - Elijah. It is really quite funny in parts. 

Haftarah Portion Teaching Resources

New Covenant Portion Overview and Thoughts

2 Corinthians 3:1-18

I really dislike the writing style of Corinthians. It is wordy, verbose and feels full of pride and pontificating. I don't know why, but reading Corinthians, just seems to rub me the wrong way. I don't have much use for people in my life who are stuck on themselves, and this is how Corinthians strikes me. 

Frankly, it is hard for me to get past the pervasive pontification and holier-than-thou attitude that comes through many of the writings that are said to have been written by Paul.

In this section of the second letter written to the Corinthians, Paul contrasts worshipping Creator by trying to follow the written law with worshipping Creator by following the leading of the Holy Spirit.

New Covenant Teaching Resources

Coming Soon!

About This Author

Sister Su is grateful to the Creator Almighty G-d for keeping her alive. She is a Trent/Queen's Concurrent Education graduate with over 20 years of teaching experience. She writes on several blogs, has a YouTube channel and is most easily reached through Twitter @Sister_Su See her link tree for more details:@Sister_Su | Linktree

This post was proofread with the free version of Grammarly

No comments: