Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Chanuka 2019- Day 4 -Discovering a Modern Chanukah Miracle!

December 25 2019 Day 4  Chanukah - Be the Light

Watching The 40th Annual South Florida Chassidic Chanukah Live on Jewish.tv , I was lead to an article on Sid Roth It's Supernatural to this inspiring Hanukkah 1777 story about an incident in the midst of the Confederate War that I've condensed here.

Valley Forge: Hanukkah 1777:

Winter 1777 Valley Forge: The weather was harsh, almost unbearable.  In the  midst of the sleeping soldiers a lone Jew  took out his Menorah, recited the blessings and lit one candle. Tears streaming down his face, he watched the small flame dance merrily, . Suddenly General Washington was standing by his side.
“Why are you weeping? Are you cold, my friend?”The General, asked gently. 
The soldier jumped to his feet and saluted.  Then said quietly, “I am weeping before my Father in Heaven, sir. Everyone’s fate lies in His hands; He controls the fate of millions, the world over. I was praying for your success, General Washington. I came to this country because I was fleeing the persecution of tyrants who have forever oppressed my family, my townspeople and my nation. The despots will fall, sir, but you will be victorious!” 
“Thank you, soldier!” the General replied heartily then sat on the ground before the menorah asking,"And what have we here?”
"This is a candelabra." the soldier replied "Jews all over the world are lighting the first candle of our festival, Hanukkah, tonight. This serves to commemorate a great miracle that occurred to our ancestors. They were only a handful compared to the massive armies, but they held out, thanks to their faith in God, and were granted a miracle.”

The weary General cried out joyfully, “You are a Jew? Then you are descended from a people of prophets! And you say that we will win the war?”
“Yes, sir!” the soldier confidently.replied 
The General rose, face glowing with renewed hope. They shook hands heartily. Washington asked the soldier for his name and address and disappeared into the night. 
The first night of Hanukkah, 1778, the Jewish veteran was sitting at home in New York. The first Hanukkah light, burning brightly on his windowsill. 
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. to his wife's  astonishment, it was President Washington!. “There is that fabulous light, the Hanukkah light,” Washington cried out happily, spotting the candle by the window. “That flame, and your remarkable words, kindled a light in my heart on that dark and bitter night,” he reminisced. “We were in a tight situation then, and your words encouraged me so! They spurred me on with new hope. You will soon be awarded a Medal of Honor from the United States of America for your bravery in Valley Forge, but tonight you will receive a personal memento from me.” With these words Washington placed a gold medal on the table bearing a Hanukkah menorah with one light burning. and inscribed: “As a sign of thanks for the light of your candle. George Washington.”  (VFI News/J. Post) 

My Our Father Grant us the ability to shine such a light into the hearts of others.
Sister Su

No comments: