Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Wrinkle In Time - Movie Review!

Wrinkle in Time Book or Movie Which Did You Prefer?

By Sister Su
Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle was one of my favourite books growing up. I was not aware it had been made into a movie, until a couple of weeks ago when I spotted the DVD multi-pack at a local store on sale.
Excitedly, I snatched it up, quickly devouring the list of Bonus Features on the back of the case with my eyes. For me, purchasing a video is all about the Bonus Features. 
Is it the same for you too? 
Title Screenshot from a Wrinkle in Time
Wrinkle in Time -Title Screenshot 


Note: This blog has referral links that help our writers eat when you make purchases through them. Would you like to write on Turtle Dove Thoughts? Guest Bloggers are welcome. Please drop a note in the comments below, or fill in the Guest Blogger form.
Audio Bookcover Madeline L'Engle Wrinkle in Time Audiobook Read by Hope Davis
Click!Hear a Sample of A Wrinkle in Time Audiobook Read by Hope Davis

Wrinkle in Time Movie - Fabulous!

I realize that many people have not given this movie a good review, but I liked it. The DVD? That's another story. The movie adaptation of Wrinkle in Time has fantastic special effects, costumes and great acting, especially by the young girl, Storm Reid, who played the protagonist Meg. 
Wrinkle in Time Special Effects - Cognizant Mobile Flowers

While it did vary somewhat from my hazy memory of the books by Madeline L'Engle, it stayed true to the main message of good overcoming evil through love. I need to reread the books, but my memory of the tessering creatures has them looking more like bag ladies rather than the glamorous beings portrayed by Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, and Mindy Kaling.
I found it interesting how this adaptation for the big screen was created for a multi-racial cast - Meg's younger brother being adopted into the family.
One thing I did find a bit off-putting was the romantic tension between Meg and the male protagonist  - Calvin O'Keefe played by Levi Miller. I seem to remember Calvin being in the same class as Meg, and more of a buddy than a burgeoning love interest. Even the gesture of recognition he makes towards Meg's neighbour and classmate seems too old for the character he is supposed to be portraying.

Wrinkle in Time DVD Disappointing

Why it might be better for you to get the movie through Netflix or another provider. After watching the DVD on my laptop, I quickly flipped to the root menu to select the Bonus Features - hmmmm.... Something was definitely wrong here. I was expecting to find what had been listed on the back cover of the DVD multi-pack -tonnes of great stuff. Not there. Hmm .. all I could find were three music videos. Nice, but not really my cup of tea. I was looking for the meaty behind-the-scenes shots - the story behind the making of the movie.
I turned to the back of the multi-pack and noticed the fine print "BlueRay Bonus Features". Well, I guess they have to find some way to get people to buy newer gadgets. This was the first time I had ever seen a multipack with so few Bonus Features on the DVD. The movie multi-pack that I picked up comes with a DVD disc, Blue Ray Disc and a computer code for downloading the movie onto any of your devices, as well as an invitation to join the Disney Rewards program.
Here is the official movie trailer
 If you find the idea of tessering through time and space using thought and vibrational frequencies interesting, you might also be interested in this other post on my blog.- Miracles -Translation
What did you think of this movie?
Please drop me a note in the comments below and let me know.
Have a wonderful day full of wonders!
Come Tweet me
@Sister_Su

About This Author

Sister Su is grateful to God for keeping her alive. She is a Trent/Queen's Concurrent Education graduate with over 20 years of teaching experience. She writes on several blogs, has a YouTube channel and is most easily reached through Twitter @Sister_Su See her link tree for more details:@Sister_Su | Linktree

No comments: