Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2021

Overcomer - Drug Addict Discarded God!

God Calls Drug Addict Back

Scripture:
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

If you had met Jeremy Robbins several years ago, you would never imagine that he would ever post these words of gratitude on a blog.
"God has shown me grace upon grace by blessing me with a wonderful family. We are certainly not wealthy by any material means, but we enjoy the love and goodness of God daily".

Jeremy Robbins, like the prodigal son, had squandered all his pay on partying. It not only left him broke but battling a serious drug addiction Thankfully, he had been taught about a loving and forgiving God when he was young.

You may also be interested in:

Note: This blog has referral links that help our writers eat when you make purchases through them. Would you like to write on Turtle Dove Thoughts? Guest Bloggers are welcome. Please drop a note in the comments below, or fill in the Guest Blogger form. 

April, 28th 2021, Jeremy Robbins celebrated his 30th birthday by writing about his extremely difficult path on his blog- Jeremyrobbinsblog.com  Simply titled  "My Story" Jeremy dares to share what most of us would rather keep hidden in some dark dark closet. Jeremy's story starts:
Today marks 30 years that I have been alive. I’m grateful you’re reading this and would love to share with you where I’m at in life and how I got here. 

 It all began on this day in 1991. I was born as the seventh child to a wonderful family that loved me. My family isn’t perfect, but I have always had their love and support. Most important was the Christian faith of my family. I had the privilege of learning about God from before I can remember, and from an early age, ...  But here’s the turning point. As I neared my teenage years, I began to neglect God. I tend to think it’s because I couldn’t remember what life was like without Him, and I didn’t know what it was like to live apart from the blessing of His presence. .. Fast forward to the end of high school; I couldn’t wait to get away from home and into “the real world.” I wanted to make my mark for my own glory. I was desperate for the recognition of others for my achievements.

I think many of us can relate to this pull of the world. How did Jeremy go about his search for recognition? He joined the  Army Infantry right after graduating high school, hoping it would set him apart. He was nowhere near prepared for life on the front in the desert constantly in danger of losing his life. After Jeremy returned to the USA, he had a lot to deal with, and he was trying to do his way.

I was trying to deal with everything in my own strength, but I struggled to reintegrate into “normal life.” So, I quickly turned to alcohol to deal with my problems, and I spent more than 30 of the first days back getting drunk. At the time I thought it was funny and got a kick out of counting how many days in a row I got drunk. But drinking quickly stopped being enough for me, and I started using various drugs as well. ... 

Eventually, Jeremy ended up addicted to multiple drugs. He tried concealing his drug addiction from his superiors while pushing further away from his closest friends. Finally, at the end of 2012, everything started falling apart. He failed a drug test, lost rank, pay, and much of his freedom as he underwent military discipline. He was preparing to leave the forces and his life was falling apart. Shortly after a bad experience with a drug, Jeremy felt God reach out to him. He describes it this way:

I felt as though for the first time in a long time, I could see. God gave my deluded mind clarity to see my life for what it was. I knew that something needed to change or else I was going to die. He allowed me to see that the path I was on was only heading to further pain, loneliness, and darkness, but He also let me see there was another path leading to healing, hope, and light. The only problem was I had no power to change course. The only way I could change my course was by being led on that path of light by Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He alone could give me freedom from the pit I was in. He alone could make me whole and clean. I wanted that deeply.  
 
Not long after this, Jeremy reached out to his parents back home and broke down while telling them what was going on, asking for help. They graciously opened their home to him and gave him a safe place to recover. 

November 6, 2012, Jeremy finalized his separation from the Army. He had blown all his wages and had barely anything to his name; After arriving home, Jeremy made the decision to turn his life over to God. From that point forward he was on a journey of healing and recovery, both physically and spiritually. Jeremy writes:

God graciously forgave me because of His Son, Jesus, who sacrificed His own life for my sins, and God began to change me dramatically. I spent the next year and a half “drowning” myself in God.  I was learning how to pray to Him again.., reading the Bible, and listening to people teach about God. I fell in love with God’s Word as it changed my life and my outlook on Him, the world, and other people. 

Jeremy went on to get a BA in Biblical Studies at the College at Southeastern and he is now pursuing an MA in Biblical Languages. It's been a long tough road back, but it's an excellent example of how we can all come back to God.
Remember - it's not how far you fall, but how high you bounce back!
Read Jeremy's full story on his blog Jeremyrobbinsblog.com 

About This Author

Sister Su is grateful to God for keeping her alive. She writes on several blogs, has a YouTube channel and is most easily reached through Twitter @Sister_Su

This post was proofread by the free version of Grammarly

No comments: