Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2024

Quoting Scripture? Include the Translation!

Feel Compelled to Share Scripture? Beware! The Adversary Can Use This to Ensnare! 

If it ever comes into your heart to start quoting scriptural references, without giving the actual words - beware! There can be a world of difference in the meaning between translations - even in the same language!
Decoration - Abstract image of a person staying clearminded with a prowling lion in the background
Warning from 1Peter 5:8 As Abstract Image from Here



Take for instance: Psalm 40 verses 10-11 - Today when I woke up felt led to "look in the book". I looked in The Book by my bed and read:
10 I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have spoken of Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your mercy and Your truth from the great congregation. 11 You, Lord, will not withhold Your compassion from me; [h]Your mercy and Your truth will continually watch over me. 

A friend's name came into my mind, and I thought "What an encouraging word for him!" and went to text him right away. However, just before I sent it out I wondered "Hmm.. I wonder if I should tell him it's in the NASB20?" 

Then I thought, "What if he doesn't have a NASB20  handy?" and" He's really busy these days what if he doesn't have the time to look the words up?"

So I went to the internet to quickly grab the words of those two verses and share them with him. I popped PS 40 into the search bar, then scanned down my resulting search to the two verses. I was shocked! This was NOT an encouraging word at all! This is what I read:

10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help. I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness from the great assembly. 11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, LORD; may your love and faithfulness always protect me. 

Here the words seem more like that boastful man in the parable of the two men at prayer .  It sounds more like someone boasting and using the evidence of his works as an entitled bribe to get what he wants from Our Father! What a difference in this passage between the NASB2020 and the NIV! 

This is just one of the many differences in meaning I have found in various translations.

 Now, it is important to note that I am not always led to look in the NASB - it was the version I was led to look in this morning.  Lately, I have been more frequently led to look in the YouVersion Bible app on my phone, but my phone strangely discharged, just as I picked it up this morning. So I believe it was definitely important that I share the version of the scripture from my physical Bible from beside my bed.

Sometimes I have felt led to share scriptures from translations in other languages too - Greek, Spanish, French, Hebrew - just to name a few.. Why? I believe it sometimes has something to do with the double-entendre in the words. Other times, it may be that someone out there someday will see it  at just the right time when they are online and it may make a world of difference to them.

Which Translation Should We Be Sharing?

I believe that if a person feels led to look in a certain translation - that is the word that should be shared at that moment. What a blessing it would be to have access to the original scriptures in Greek and Hebrew - and to understand all the plays on words and linguistic nuances too. However, meanings in words have changed over the centuries even from that time, so we must be content to pray and ask Our Father to have Holy Spirit guide us each minute of the day in where to look, what to do and what to say.

Note: This blog has referral links that help our writers eat when you make purchases through them. Would you like to write on Turtle Dove Thoughts? Guest Bloggers are welcome. Please drop a note in the comments below.
Faith Gear Christian Men Hoodies
Click Here to Shop Faith Gear Now!

Sources:

About This Author

Sister Su is grateful to God for keeping her alive. She is a Trent/Queen's Concurrent Education graduate with over 20 years of teaching experience. She writes on several blogs, has a YouTube channel and is most easily reached through Twitter @Sister_Su See her link tree for more details:@Sister_Su | Linktree

This post was proofread with the free version of Grammarly

No comments: